Well done to our Senior Football Team yesterday who beat Clane C.S

November 18, 2022

St. Pats continued their unbeaten run in the Leinster Championship yesterday. Scoil Mhuire of Clane were their opponents and with a home place up for grabs in the next round a win here was crucial. After having to travel and play the game in an enclosed tight pitch in their school, this would be a real test for St. Pat’s. Although the odds were against them, they pulled through with the help of the traveling St. Pat’s supporters.

With the management demanding a quick start, they got just that when Niel McGinley slotted a well taken point under pressure over the bar in the second minute of the game. Clane however followed that with two points in a row. Matthew Kealy resumed his free taking responsibilities today, but even with no grass on the field in patches, it didn’t faze him as he converted two frees over the bar. With Clane looking to drop nearly everyone behind the ball, St. Pat’s had to be patient in their attack. After many switches of the play and trying to break down the defense, it was Cian Commons, who bravely took on a shot under pressure from 2 or 3 Clane defenders in the 19th minute.

Clane followed this with two frees back to back and one score from play. It looked like St. Pat’s were heading into halftime down by a point. However, after the umpire waved the ball wide, St. Pat’s pressed up on the kick out and left the goalkeeper with no option but to kick the ball out to Andrew Canvan who claimed it, sent the ball inside and St. Pat’s won a free. Matthew Kealy stepped up again and calmly slotted the free over. This would not be the last score of the half as Matthew stepped up again to take a close in free to put St. Pats a head at the break. The halftime score board read St. Pat’s 0-6 Scoil Mhuire Clane 0-5.

As the second half began, it was Clane who got the first score five minutes in. It was Andrew Canavan who got St. Pat’s off the mark in the second half after a brilliant point struck with his right foot. With Clane winning another free inside the St. Pat’s half and converting it, it looked like it was going to be a close game.

Mr Peppard mentioned in the team talk that a goal could win this game and it was in the 15th minute when he got his wish. A high floating ball into the box left Cian Commons in a one on one battle with his marker, he smartly fisted the ball on and it skidded on the wet ground into the back of the net. St. Pats saw out the game very well, turning the ball over in midfield and countless times they broke forward resulting in a St. Pats score. A free from Robby Finnegan and two points from Cian Commons helped St. Pats into a comfortable lead in the final stages. A well struck point from Ben Corkery in the last kick of the game sealed victory for St. Pats. Final score St. Pats 1-11 Scoil Mhuire Clane 0-7.

A brilliant result for St. Pat’s which secures them a Pairc Tailteann clash with Marist College from Athlone who finished second in their group behind the All Ireland winners from last year Naas.

St. Pats team: Luke Healy, Luke Doyle, Breandán Mc Guinness, Cormac Liggin, Lorcán O’Connor, Danny Waters, Matthew Kealy(0-4), Darren O’Brien, Tadhg Martyn, Ciaran Quinn, Robby Finnegan(0-1), Andrew Canavan(0-1), Billy Smyth, Cian Commons(1-3), Niel McGinley(0-1).
By Colin Scanlon